Sunday, July 18, 2004

York Minster

Last Sunday my parents came up to visit, along with a young French girl who was staying with them for a while. We went to the Minster since it is old and the sort of place you take visitors aka foreign tourists with cameras. I also had a camera: Here's the Minster:



What you can't see in this picture is that there are lots of policemen nearby who have been having a busy day dealing with Fathers For Justice, who had climbed onto the roof and also caused a commotion during a service. They may be the biggest threat to world peace after Osama's lot and Vernon Kaye (and lord help us if those two ever get in league with each other).

In general, visitors have to pay to enter the Minster, but it is free for residents. That's residents of York rather than of the Minster. I would expect that anyone who actually lived in the Minster would be allowed to come and go as they please. Maybe through a special door. Anyway, as a resident, I did not have to pay, and I even got a wonderful card which lets me jump to the front of the queue and come and go as I please. Though not through the special door.

1 comment:

Sarum said...

Residents of the Minster should have a humpback and live in the bell tower. They'd come and go by swinging on the bell-ropes (which I'm sure have a special name) or via the rooftops.